Elinor Cleghorn is the author of “Unwell Women,” and, honestly, this book is going to blow everyone's minds. The medical system has been doing women dirty right in front of our faces and we’ve never given it the attention it deserves. We’ve all accepted this medical misogyny as normal. Elinor shows us that it doesn’t have to be this way and shines a light on the history of why it has gone the way it has.
Elinor talks about...
- Her experience with sexism in the medical industry
- Why there’s so much inequality in wellness
- The unfairness of being a self-advocate
- The male skew of medical knowledge
- Addressing the concerns of medical skeptics
- Having hope for the future
- Twitter: @elinorcleghorn
- Read: “Unwell Women”
- Visit earthandstar.com and use code “HTW” for 15% off at checkout
Highway to Well is a production of Crate Media
More episodes from "HTW with Zoe and Erica"
- 156. Panic Attacks Suck! Let’s Talk About How to Deal with Them with Dr. Ellen Vora (replay)4/5/20231:08:05Are we still talking about stress and anxiety? Yes... yes we are. Because it never f***ing goes away. And panic attacks, in particular, have become a very broad, catch-all topic for a variety of still-potentially-severe-but-not-actually-panic-attack problems. That’s why we’re bringing on our good friend, Dr. Ellen Vora, to lay out the real deal about panic attacks: what they actually are, and how you can cope with them. She practically wrote the book on it — Ok, she ACTUALLY wrote the book on it. The Anatomy of Anxiety is available now. Dr. Ellen Vora talks about… Unpacking what panic attacks are False anxiety vs true anxiety How the fear economy preys on our anxiety What to do when you’re experiencing a panic attack How to set ourselves up to avoid them in the first place Resources: Learn more: ellenvora.com Instagram: @ellenvoramd Visit earthandstar.com and use the promo code “PODCAST” to get 15% off your first order Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!
- 153. Managing stress using ACTUAL practical strategies with Dr. Elissa Epel2/22/202344:29Today we're talking about stress, something that we've all experienced. And if you say you don't get stressed, congratulations and also we call bullsh*t. But fear not, Dr. Elissa Epel is here to give us some tactical tips to address it. She's the author of The Stress Prescription, a book that promises more joy and ease in just seven days. As an expert in stress and biological aging, she knows a thing or two about the subject. And the best part? She actually provides practical strategies that you can apply to your life, rather than broad, useless recommendations. Here at Highway to Well, we love useful tools and guidance, not just meaningless gestures. So without further ado, let's hear from Dr. Elissa Epel. Dr. Epel talks about… Why stress isn’t always bad for you and how to distinguish between them Methods for reducing stress in the moment Taking inventory over what you can control The relationship between stress and anxiety Managing the stress responses in kids How stress passes down generationally Resources: Learn more at elissaepel.com Read: The Stress Prescription Visit earthandstar.com and get 15% off your first order with code HTW Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!
- 152. Breathe New Life Into Your Mental Health Practice with Christine Calvert2/8/202359:04If all the buzz about psychedelic therapy has you curious and intimidated at the same time, then get ready for the perfect gateway: holotropic breathing. Christine Calvert is an experienced practitioner and certified faciliatator of this type of breathwork, who experienced firsthand how life-changing the practice can be, helping her road to recovery from substance abuse and depression. As a cultuer, we tend to resist things that seem too "easy," which can prevent us from trying the simplest forms of healing. But what if it was as simple as learning to control your breath to take you to a totally new place? With the abundance of modalities available now, we have many options to try — so take a deep breath, enter an altered state of consciousness, and let’s get started. Christine Calvert talks about… How Christine Calvert’s life got flip-turned after a gas station encounter introduced her to holotropic breathing What a typical holotropic breathwork session looks and feels like Who holotropic breathwork is not for How expanded states open us up to wider emotional acceptance Hurdles to accepting and feeling comfortable with breath work Resources: Learn more at holotropic.com Connect with Christine on LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/christine-calvert-lcdc-a4099665/ Visit earthandstar.com and get 15% off your first order with code HTW Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!
- 151. Your Energy Forecast for 2023 with Intuitive Natalie Miles1/25/20231:00:56Spoiler alert for 2023: We’re screwed. Who is Natalie Miles? She's an acclaimed channel, psychic medium, and author of the best selling book "You Are Intuitive. Trust Your Truth. Take Back Your Power." And she is lovely! She's informed, and she's frighteningly precient. Her intuitive energy forecasts have reached millions of people globally via her YouTube channel, inspiring and guiding others to navigate the themes we face personally and as a collective on our planet. Soooooo Natalie's got some big predictions for the year but also some practical advice. The big message is that we need to stop planning and trying to control the future, and focus on the present and put in the hard work. We also asked her about a big prediction she made recently, and guess what? She called it! So, if you're looking for some real insight and a little bit of hope, you should definitely check out her one-on-one and collective sessions. But in the meantime, buckle up and get ready for the wild ride - it sounds like 2023 is going to be an interesting year. Natalie Miles talks about… The shift of people opening up to their gifts How she taps into her intuitive messages What we can expect energetically from 2023 and beyond Putting presence into practice Resources: Learn more at natalie-miles.com Follow Natalie on Instagram: @iamnataliemiles YouTube: youtube.com/c/NatalieMiles Visit earthandstar.com and get 15% off your first order with code HTW Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!
- 150. Your Prescription(less) Path to Better Sleep Dr. Aric Prather1/11/202357:52Dr. Aric Prather is a dream doctor come to rescue us from sleepless nights! He treats insomnia with cognitive behavioral therapy and helps patients adjust to their CPAP equipment. He’s also the author of The Sleep Prescription: Seven Days to Unlocking Your Best Rest which, as the name suggests, lays out a plan to straighten your sleep out in one week. Prather's research focuses on how sleep deprivation affects our physical and emotional health. He studies sleep patterns to identify those of us who are at risk of health problems due to lack of sleep and those who are resilient. Prather earned his Ph.D. in clinical and biological health psychology from the University of Pittsburgh and is a member of the Sleep Research Society, American Psychological Association, American Psychosomatic Society and Society for Affective Science. Dr. Aric Prather talks about… The definition of insomnia and why it’s such a struggle for many people Night owls, morning people, and the science behind circadian differences The importance of a consistent, predictable sleep schedule How sleep worry feeds insomnia Resources: Learn more at aricprather.com Read: The Sleep Prescription Visit earthandstar.com and get 15% off your first order with code HTW Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!
- 149. Fireside Chat: Self-Help Sh*t we Tried in 202212/14/202225:25The one where Zoe still thinks it's 2020. It may as well be, no? It’s the end of the year, and while plenty of people are thinking about goals for next year, we’re more about reflection than resolution. So listen in on this admittedly free-wheeling conversation as we perform free association dissociation, deny the laws of time, and perform a modality inventory to look back on all the waacky and woo-woo things we’ve done to ourselves over the past year in the name of science and healing. We talk about… Things we’ve learned in 2022 Untangling the law of attraction and hypnotherapy Going into the k-hole Resources: Visit earthandstar.com and get 15% off your first order with code HTW Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!
- 148. Improving Resilience to Stress Through Sound with Dr. David Rabin11/30/202251:31Neuroscientist, board-certified psychiatrist, health tech entrepreneur, and inventor Dr. David Rabin has spent more than 15 years researching the effects of persistent stress on people. He’s also the co-founder and CIO of Apollo Neuroscience, which created the first wearable device verified by science to actively enhance sleep, relaxation, focus, and calmness by employing a new touch therapy that sends a signal of security to the brain. As a psychiatrist, Dr. Rabin focuses on very difficult to treat mental illnesses. He has been constantly fascinated by why chronic and intense stress can sometimes make people stronger, while other times it holds us back — even within the same person. Medication doesn’t work for more than half of patients, which led Dr. David to find something else to treat mental illness. We discuss the path that led to that discovery, how it works, and why it’s so important in reducing stress. SPECIAL OFFER FOR LISTENERS: Use the code EARTHSTAR for $40 off your order at www.apolloneuro.com Dr. David Rabin talks about… Using technology to put us into a state of safety Hacking the autonomic and parasympathetic systems to How sound can be used as a signal to evoke a soothing response The problem with too much data and how that leads to more stress Resources: drdave.io apolloneuro.com Instagram: @drdavidrabin Twitter: @drdavidrabin Visit earthandstar.com and get 15% off your first order with code HTW Subscribe to our YouTube Channel!